Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Shelf Discovery Challenge

Booking Mama is hosting the Shelf Discovery Challenge on her blog, which happens to be the impetus for this blog! I've been meaning to start a reading journal for ages, so this just might be the kick in the pants I need.

The challenge is based on Lizzie Skurnick's new book Shelf Discovery: The Teen Classics We Never Stopped Reading. From the website:

Launched from her regular feature column “Fines Lines” for Jezebel.com, this spastically composed, frequently hilarious omnibus of meditations on favorite YA novels dwells mostly among the old-school titles from the late ’60s to the early ’80s much beloved by now grown-up ladies...

Since I don't have a copy of Lizzie's book yet, I don't know which specific titles she covers. But based on a sample from her website, here are the six titles I will be reading between November and April:

The Pigman by Paul Zindel
Then Again, Maybe I Won't by Judy Blume
The Long Secret by Louise Fitzhugh
Kin-Flicks by Lisa Alther
My Darling, My Hamburger by Paul Zindel
The Grounding of Group 6 by A. Thompson

There are so many beloved titles on that list! Bridge to Terabithia... Jacob Have I Loved... Starring Sally J Freedman Herself... The Westing Game... Homecoming... Ring of Endless Light... oh, the love goes on and on!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Thanks for joining me. I think this challenge is going to be a lot of fun! I am so excited that you started a new blog and to have the Shelf Discovery Challenge as your first post is awesome! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! You won a copy of SHELF DISCOVERY! Please e-mail me bookingmama(at)gmail(dot)com with your name and mailing address!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm back again! I don't think I heard back from you! You won a copy of SHELF DISCOVERY! Please e-mail me bookingmama(at)gmail(dot)com with your name and mailing address. If I don't hear from you within the next day, I'll have to pick another winner.

    ReplyDelete