Friday, November 6, 2009

My new educator's library card! Plus, a new bosom friend...?

I have been going through major library withdrawals these last six months... As someone who would like to eventually become a librarian, I shouldn't really admit this, but I am terrible about paying my fines. Especially when they're really high because I check out 20+ titles for my classroom at a time. And then they get lost when I move... ugh, I'm sure you can see where this is going.

But the good news is that today I received my brand new educator's card! 6 whole weeks of checked-out bliss, plus the ability to check out bins of themed books for my students and other benefits I'm not even aware of yet =)

The best news, though? I met Paulina, who is the children's librarian for the branch closest to school. She's young, Hispanic, beautiful, and probably as enthusiastic to meet me as I was to meet her. After I introduced myself, she asked if I would ever bring my students to the library for field trips. As they're only 2- and 3-years-old, and the fact that we don't have a school bus, I declined the offer. But as I started to describe some of my needs for my sign-language projects, she interrupted me and said, "I have the perfect books for you! I'm saving them in the back; wait here!" Then she dashed off to her office and brought back at least six titles. They were stories, filled with rhymes and colorful pictures, that featured a new sign on every spread. I had to protest taking them all (explaining that resisting the temptation of excess is a current project of mine), but I settled with two on pets and the farm - our month's theme - and one about clothing. But I'll certainly be back for food, zoo animals, and colors.

Paulina helped we with a few other items and we chatted awhile, and she gave me her card. Mostly though I am so tickled that she pulled books from a stack on her desk. It reminds me so much of how I met Barbara, my inspiration back in small-town Virginia. Dear Barbara used to find a title that she thought I'd like and place it on hold for me, without telling me, so that I always had a pleasant surprise at checkout. Or she'd order new books for the library with my students' research projects and interests in mind. Oh how I miss her. But now, maybe I can form a new librarian-patron relationship with the lovely Paulina.

P.S. And I'm making progress: I only checked out 3 books and 1 DVD on that trip! Sadly, I discovered the power of online reserves later that night, and I now have a dozen titles in my queue. Oh well; I tried, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment